Although tough times aren’t going to suddenly change because you are optimistic, surviving difficult circumstances requires maintaining a positive attitude.
This is why having a handful of weather the storm quotes in your arsenal can be helpful, especially when faced with rough situations.
To help you pull through challenging times, I’ve compiled some great inspirational quotes to encourage and inspire you during the darkest moments and stormy weather of your life.
This, Too, Shall Pass!
When times are hard, let the following short storm quotes remind you that your situation won’t last forever. Like everything else, it will eventually pass, so hang on! Wait for the rainbow as you read these sayings.
- “Never make a permanent decision based on a temporary storm. No matter how raging the billows are today, remind yourself: ‘This too shall pass!’” – T. D. Jakes
- “No storm can last forever. It will never rain 365 days consecutively. Keep in mind that trouble comes to pass, not to stay. Don’t worry! No storm, not even the one in your life, can last forever.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- “Dignity of human nature requires that we must face the storms of life.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We simply can’t abandon ship every time we encounter a storm in our marriage. Real love is about weathering the storms of life together.” – Seth Adam Smith
- “A positive attitude can turn a storm into a sprinkle.” – Robert M. Hensel
- “But the thing about thunderstorms is that there’s always a sense of peace when once the storm is over.” – Tabitha G. Kelly
- “Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Don’t let the rain drive you to the wrong shelter; the shade can turn out to be your protector and also your destroyer, and sometimes the rain is the perfect protector from the rain.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “It often takes the darkness of a storm to show us the light of God’s presence.” – Tony Evans
- “Why wait? So precious is this life — this gift — this temporary blindness. Burn and drown and embrace the false dark, then grasp the unthinkable height of resulting joy. For in the end, in the light of truth when the flesh is cast off, there is nothing but this.” – Jennifer DeLucy
- “The wise man in the storm prays to God not for safety from danger but for deliverance from fear. It is the storm within which endangers him, not the storm without.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “If only a horrible storm can demolish the castle of the devil, then let the storm be victorious! It is not uncommon that heaven comes after hell.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
- “A few minutes ago, every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear, these trees are now silent; their songs never cease.” – John Muir
- “When people are grieving, it’s kind of like a storm, and you need something to grab onto, but often you have to brave it on your own.” – Clare Bowen
- “In the midst of the storm, your lifeboat appears. A psalm, a hymn, a word, calming the fiercest winds of the soul.” – Roderick L. Evans
- “Even in the midst of the storm, the sun is still shining.” – Dayna Lovely
- “In sailing, in weather, in life and death, answers are not endings, and questions are not to be feared. The unknowns keep us moving forward.” – Kaci Cronkhite
- “If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Storms don’t come to teach us painful lessons, rather they were meant to wash us clean.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “When thunderstorms roll in, you make a choice to either succumb with tears to the gloomy downpour or smile and look for rainbows.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “When you walk through the storm, hold your head high. And don’t be afraid of the dark! At the end of the storm is a golden sky. And the sweet song of the lark. Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain. Though your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart. And you’ll never walk alone!” – Douglas Adams
Tough Times Make You Stronger
Babies learning to walk will fall and whack their heads many times ― that’s a given! But walking isn’t designed to test or punish little kids. If anything, it prepares them to move from place to place better.
That’s exactly what tough times do for you. They make you stronger! No one is punishing or testing you. You are simply becoming a better version of yourself. Keep that in mind as you read the following weather the storm sayings and quotes.
- “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” – Haruki Murakami
- “No one’s life is a smooth sail; we all come into stormy weather. But it’s this adversity ― and more specifically our resilience ― that makes us strong and successful.” – Tony Robbins
- “Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye, and he says, ‘give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.’” – Jack Burton
- “Life can give you strength. Strength can come from facing the storms of life, from knowing loss, feeling sadness and heartache, from falling into the depths of grief. You must stand up in the storm. You must face the wind and the cold and the darkness. When the storm blows hard, you must stand firm, for it is not trying to knock you down; it is really trying to teach you to be strong.” – Joseph M. Marshall III
- “In times of crisis, different people react in different ways. Some might try to escape. Others might attempt to batten down the hatches and ride out the storm in a safe haven.” – Cullen Bunn
- “If you want to see the sunshine, you have to weather the storm.” – Frank Lane
- “The sea is dangerous and its storms terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore. Unlike the mediocre, intrepid spirits seek victory over those things that seem impossible. It is with an iron will that they embark on the most daring of all endeavors to meet the shadowy future without fear and conquer the unknown.” – Ferdinand Magellan
- “For within your flesh, deep within the center of your being, is the undaunted, waiting, longing, all-knowing. Is the ready, able, perfect. Within you, waiting its turn to emerge, piece by piece, with the dawn of every former test of trial and blackness, is the next unfolding, the great unfurling of wings, the re-forged backbone of a true Child of Light.” –Jennifer DeLucy
- “Times of great calamity and confusion have been productive for the greatest minds. The purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace. The brightest thunder-bolt is elicited from the darkest storm.” – Charles Caleb Colton
- “In order to realize the worth of the anchor, we need to feel the stress of the storm.” – Corrie Ten Boom
- “A dove struggling in a storm grows stronger than an eagle soaring in the sunshine.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
- “You are not controlling the storm, and you are not lost in it. You are the storm.” – Sam Harris
- “A tree with strong roots can withstand the most violent storm, but the tree can’t grow roots just as the storm appears on the horizon.” – Dalai Lama
- “The eagle does not escape the storm. The eagle simply uses the storm to lift it higher. It spreads its mighty wings and rises on the winds that bring the storm.” – Jack White
- “Sometimes a storm in your life is what will blow you to the place you are longing to be.” – Beth Moore
- “God doesn’t author hardship but uses it to strengthen us for greater conquests. He never leads us into a storm that He doesn’t give us the power to overcome.” – John Bevere
- “The heart of man is very much like the sea; it has its storms, it has its tides, and in its depths, it has its pearls too.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- “Like many animals, wild ponies can sense a drop in barometric pressure. When a storm threatens, they know to seek shelter in hilly areas and huddle together with their rumps facing the oncoming wind.” – Diane Ackerman
- “You can learn to prevent a storm, or you can learn to ride the storm. If you learn to ride the storm, the storm is not a problem anymore.” – Jaggi Vasudev
- “The storm’s mission is to remove the pink glasses from our eyes and to make us see the universe in its realistic form! And what is the reality? The reality is that the universe is a heaven of danger!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
- “Thunderstorms are as much as our friends as the sunshine.” – Criss Jami
- “The storms will come, and the winds will rise, and the gusts will threaten to pull you from your roots. Let the winds come. Let them rage and know that you will not break in the breeze; you will bend. Bend. Always bend because you are made of more strength than you know because you are better than the breaking.” – Tyler Knott Gregson
- “Every failure is just another step closer to a win. Never stop trying.” – Robert M. Hensel
- “Don’t wait for the storms of your life to pass. Learn to dance in the rain.” – Steve Rizzo
- “There is always a storm. There is always rain. Some experience it. Some live through it. And others are made from it.” – Shannon L. Alder
Move On After the Storm
Sometimes, we waste too much time looking over our shoulders and wondering what would have been if the tides weren’t against us. We hold on to the past, even when the big storms are over, and this makes us live in regret.
We don’t move forward in life by holding on to people, things, and situations we can’t control, especially when they are in the past.
Let these weather the storm sayings and quotes below inspire you to let go of the past and move on confidently into a better future.
- “When the storm has passed, put your energy into rebuilding your life, don’t waste time looking back.” – Leon Brown
- “Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn’t people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them?” – Rose Kennedy
- “Life is about growing, learning, and becoming. You cannot grow, learn, or become if you cannot embrace the changes in your life.” – Steve Rizzo
- “Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “The victory is not to change the mind of the critic; it is to evaluate what you can learn and discard, yet still walk away with peace in your heart.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “After every storm, the sun will smile; for every problem, there is a solution, and the soul’s indefeasible duty is to be of good cheer.” – William R. Alger
- “You can be in the storm, but don’t let the storm get in you.” – Joel Osteen
- “When the storm rips you to pieces, you get to decide how to put yourself back together again.” – Bryant H. McGill
- “Birds sing after a storm. Why shouldn’t we?” – Rose Kennedy