It’s normal to experience the ebb and flow in motivation levels, but you might be stuck in a rut if it feels like you’re stagnant or not making any headway in life.
While there are many things you can do to turn things around, the first step is shifting your perspective so that you can see the situation from a well-rounded viewpoint.
I’ve gathered some perspective change quotes to help you in that regard. But merely reading quotes alone is not very effective without some practical steps for getting out of a funk. That’s why I’ve included some useful tips at the end of this post to help you find your way out of any rut.
Can Changing Your Perspective Make Any Difference?
No doubt, shifting your viewpoint can have a significant impact on your life. Studies have shown that a change in perspective about life (from a negative to a more positive outlook) can improve mental well-being.
However, changing your perspective doesn’t automatically change your situation, at least not immediately.
Here’s the thing:
Changing how you see a situation and shifting perspectives will alter your feelings about the situation, and with that comes the capacity to think and respond differently. In the end, the situation will likely improve, and you will have a more positive mindset.
For example, if your job is unexciting, you can see yourself as unlucky and powerless to do anything about the situation. This perspective keeps you stuck in a rut and can keep you from happiness.
On the other hand, you can decide to shift your perspective and see the boring job through new eyes as an opportunity for self-development. This viewpoint is more empowering and likely to lead to a more satisfying outcome and success.
12 Perspective Change Quotes to Help You Get Out of a Rut
Quotes on Changing Your Perspective
Sometimes, what’s keeping you from moving forward is holding tightly to a set of beliefs, not minding how limiting and debilitating they are.
If you’re reluctant about changing your perspective (perhaps because you are afraid of losing control), remember that changing your viewpoint or shifting perspectives doesn’t necessarily mean dropping everything you know in one fell swoop.
I recommend taking baby steps: be more open to differing opinions and beliefs, no matter how unusual, ridiculous, or “out-there” they sound. It doesn’t hurt to consider other perspectives and fresh ideas.
Ponder these new perspective quotes, and let the message nudge you toward shifting to a different perspective.
- “The only thing you sometimes have control over is your perspective. You don’t have control over your situation. But you have a choice about how you view it.” – Chris Pine
- “The greatest tragedy for any human being is going through their entire lives believing the only perspective that matters is their own.” – Doug Baldwin
- “Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point to move forward.” – C. S. Lewis
- “If you’re wondering what I mean by ‘miracle,’ it’s simple: a miracle is a shift in perspective from fear to love.” – Gabrielle Bernstein
Quotes on Gratitude
Your current situation may be dull and unexciting, and you’ll give anything to escape the humdrum of your life. Still, you don’t have to look too far to see the blessings you have in the present moment.
Let me take a stab at a few of your blessings (which many ignore, by the way):
- You are reading this, so you have eyes
- You can read, so you have some education
- You have access to the internet
- You have a computer or mobile device where you’re reading this
- You have electricity to charge or connect your device
And the list goes on.
Since what you focus on expands, why not be intentional about focusing on what you have instead of worrying about the life you want but don’t have yet?
- “If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Gratitude is one of the strongest and most transformative states of being. It shifts your perspective from lack to abundance and allows you to focus on the good in your life, which in turn pulls more goodness into your reality.” – Jen Sincero
- “It’s a funny thing about life; once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.” – Germany Kent
- “I’m just thankful for everything, all the blessings in my life. I think that’s the best way to start your day and finish your day. It keeps everything in perspective.” – Tim Tebow
Quotes on Maintaining Positive Attitude When Stuck in a Rut
If you’re stuck in a rut, the last thing you want is toxic positivity ― pressuring yourself to put on a positive façade, suppress your emotions, and pretend to be happy while you’re actually struggling and unhappy.
This is living in denial, and it’s not healthy.
That said, maintaining a positive mindset and attitude are crucial for getting out of a funk. A positive attitude is not the same as rejecting all difficult emotions just to appear cheerful in all situations. Instead, it means being optimistic and letting that optimism drive your thought patterns and actions.
Of course, being optimistic is not the easiest thing to do when you’re in a rut, but the following perspective change quotes can help you hold your head high toward new beginnings, no matter what.
- “While grief is not fun to deal with, it is a valuable tool to bring about amazing change and growth. The key to this deep level of learning is attitude. How will you respond to the pain you’re feeling?” – Diamante Lavenda
- “[If you think you’re lost in life] even though your mind didn’t know it, your soul has never been lost. It knows exactly where it’s going, and if your ego will step out of the way and allow you to be guided, you will move directly towards your purpose in life.” – Sonia Choquette
- “The way it begins… it is never the way it ends. No god or destiny has your life written beforehand. Everyone’s journey is to balance their Yin and Yang, and one will know peace the moment one can.” – Ricardo Derose
- It’s never too late to become who you want to be. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of. And if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
Tips on How to Get Out of a Rut
Try to Understand the Message From the Difficult Emotion
What is the rut trying to tell you? Why do you feel stuck? What needs to change? Instead of railing against your not-so-exciting situation, try to figure out the answers to these questions.
Sometimes, the answers are obvious; you want a change in your career, daily routine, or relationship. At other times, you need to pay closer attention to your moods and who or what affects them to figure out why you feel the way you feel.
Getting out of the rut becomes much easier once you figure this out.
Be Open to Change but Don’t Compare Yourself to Others
It is okay to want something more ― to stretch yourself beyond your current station in life. Embracing change is a great way to expand your horizon and overcome the feeling of stagnation.
However, you’ll be doing yourself a disservice if your sole motivation for improvement is to outdo someone else.
Your life has absolutely nothing to do with anyone’s life, so desire change because you want something better, not to spite someone else.
In the words of Bill Gates: “Don’t compare yourself with anyone in this world. If you do so, you are insulting yourself.”
Realize That It Is Okay to Fail
You will fail when you try someone new ― that’s a given. But don’t let that fear keep you in a rut indefinitely.
Don’t be too hard on yourself when you fail. Instead, praise yourself for trying, learn from your mistakes, and try again.
Surround Yourself With Inspiration
If you’re in a rut, spending time filling your mind with positivity is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Immersing yourself in things that inspire you will shift your attention from stagnation to progress.
Here are a few things I recommend:
- Seek out and connect with people who have the results you want.
- Read good books that inspire you.
- Bookmark or print out quotes (like the ones in this post) that nudge you in the direction of the life you want.
Hopefully, these new perspective quotes will inspire you to shift your viewpoint about any unhappy situation you find yourself in. You may have to give up some long-held personal beliefs and be more open to change and growth to find a fresh perspective.
Remember that perspective is everything; a small shift in how you view a situation can significantly alter your viewpoint, leading to different actions and more satisfying results.